Domicile in Switzerland

Persons, who are insured with an official health insurer of one of the EU states or Iceland, Norway or Liechtenstein (EFTA), have a claim to medical treatment in case of illness, recreational accident or maternity if they are resident in Switzerland. The Gemeinsame Einrichtung KVG is responsible for the whole of Switzerland for the examination of a claim and then coordinates the billing of the treatment costs as well as the subsequent invoicing to the relevant health insurance abroad.

We provide the benefits assistance on behalf of your health insurance and charge the costs to your health insurance (bears the costs and is responsible for your insurance relationship). Therefore, we inform your health insurance and exchange information.

Persons, who take up residence in Switzerland and continue to be insured in their home country, can be registered at the Gemeinsame Einrichtung KVG by means of a valid claim form issued by their health insurance.

Claim forms are:

  • Certificate S1
  • Form E 106 (employees)
  • Form E 109 (family member of an employee who lives and is insured abroad)
  • Form E 120 (pension claimant)
  • Form E 121 (pensioner)

With these forms there is a claim to all benefits provided for by the Swiss health insurance system if they prove to be medically necessary – with the exception of cash benefits (daily allowance). The same rule applies to the non-earning, dependent members of the family.

Warning: The treatment costs can only be processed by the Gemeinsame Einrichtung KVG if the claim certificate is valid and updated.


Please send us, as a first step, your valid claim certificate. You will subsequently receive a questionnaire from us. Your statements on the questionnaire are instrumental in clarifying whether a registration is basically possible or whether you are subject to compulsory health insurance in Switzerland. This, e.g. can be the case, if you are either working in Switzerland or draw a pension or unemployment benefits from Switzerland. Children have to be insured in Switzerland if at least one parent is subject to Swiss compulsory health insurance because of employment. A registration for mutual benefits assistance is, in this case, impossible.

Persons who can be registered for benefits assistance, will receive an insurance card. This serves as proof of a right to benefits for service providers in Switzerland e.g. hospitals, doctors, physiotherapists etc.

Should, for any of the afore-mentioned reasons, the registration for benefits assistance be denied, the relevant Cantonal authorities will be notified. Basically, it is their responsibility to control the adherence to the health insurance obligation in Switzerland (Art. 6 KVG).